Moku Hanga Demonstration and Workshop with Kenji Takenaka
Honolulu Printmakers in collaboration with Mānoa Heritage Center presents a unique print experience featuring Kyoto-based master printer Kenji Takenaka, who will demonstrate traditional moku hanga printing techniques in the Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Visitor Education Hale. Participants will have the opportunity to try their hand at printing from blocks in the traditional manner.
- Sat Oct 19, 9am – 2pm
- 1-day session: $100
- Registration fee includes lunch, materials and tour of Mānoa Heritage Center
Limited to 15 participants.
Intro to Papermaking – Mini-Sessions
- Sat Oct 5, 9am-11am & 11am-1pm
- 1 session: $30
- Join us for special mini-sessions of intro to papermaking! Learn to create unique sheets of (Western-style) paper with moulds and deckles and a variety of fibers pulped in a Hollander beater. The history of papermaking and its contemporary uses as an art-making material will be discussed. Be prepared to get wet, have fun and make sheets of paper that can be used for drawing, painting, printmaking and 3-D constructions.
- Paper needs to dry overnight. You must come to pick up your paper on Monday, Oct 7 between 9-3 pm.
- No previous experience necessary.
- Limited to 6 participants per two-hour session. Register HERE!
Papermaking Club: Color!
- Sat Nov 2, 9am-1pm
- 1-day session: $45
- We have made paper from different organic materials (including kōzo and denim), we have used shaped deckles and household objects to shape, emboss and embellish handmade paper, now let’s add some color! Using colored tissue paper, add character and mood to your handmade paper. Turn your paper into a work of art.
- For intermediate papermakers and above. Must have taken intro to papermaking to join MHC Paper club. Participants will be responsible for helping to set-up and clean-up.
- Paper needs to dry overnight. Paper can be picked up on Monday, November 4 between 9am-4:30pm.
- Limited to 6 participants. Minimum of 4 necessary to run the class. Register HERE!
Papermaking Club: Light!
- Sat Dec 7, 9am-1pm
- 1-day session: $45
- Light up your paper! Embed a string of LED lights with an attached switch between two laminated sheets. Then, shape the paper into a sconce, cylinder or another shape. You can also bring in-process projects to work on.
- For intermediate papermakers and above. Must have taken an intro to papermaking class to join MHC Papermaking Club. Participants will be responsible for helping to set-up and clean-up.
- Paper must dry overnight. Paper can be picked up on Monday, DEC 9 between 9am-4:30pm.
- Limited to 6 participants. Minimum of 4 necessary to run the open studio. Register HERE!