Join us on the last Saturday of every month in 2019 for a hands-on workshop at Mānoa Heritage Center. No refunds 3 days before class begins.
Palm Bark Basket Workshop – back by popular demand! – THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT!
- Sat Oct 26, 9:00 am – 11:00 am
- 1 session $15
- Join O‘ahu based multimedia artist and cultural practitioner Tamsen Fox to learn how to make a basket out of palm bark. Turn a natural resource into something beautiful and useful. Everyone will make a hanging basket but there may be time to make more than one, or a stand-along basket as well.
- We offered this workshop in January and it sold out quickly. Do not miss your chance to take it in October!
- Limited to 15 participants. PLEASE EMAIL email@example.com to be added to the waitlist.
Wayfinding and Hawaiian Astronomy
- Fri Nov 22, 5:30 -7:45 pm
- 1 session $15
- Join Kumu Tai Crouch for an enlightening evening of archeoastronomy and wayfinding. Learn about Hawaiian astronomy, including using stars and nature for wayfinding, and the importance of heiau marking the passage of time, especially at the equinoxes and solstices. Tai will share his experiences with the Polynesian Voyaging Society from its inception in 1972 as a crew member on its first sail, through the voyage to Rapanui in 1999. He also served as a volunteer advisor through the Worldwide Voyage.
- If time and elements permit, workshop will include identification of stars over Kūka‘ō‘ō.
- Please bring a flashlight.
- Limited to 20 participants. REGISTER HERE
Botanical Body Butter and Salt Scrub Workshop with Moani Hibbard
- Sat Dec 14, 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
- 1 session $20
- Moani Hibbard of Ao Ola Skinare/Botanica Skincare is back with another workshop using native plants to enjoy the wonders of the ‘āina by creating some all natural products. Participants will create one (1) māmaki whipped body butter and one (1) ‘ōlena salt scrub to promote wellness during the “winter” season.
- ‘Tis the season, so come and pamper yourself, or give the gift of self care and make one for a friend.
- Keiki are welcome to join makua in making these Hawaiian native plant based gifts.
- Participants may make an additional set (regular sized scrub and mini body butter) for $15 paid directly to the instructor. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in making an additional set.
- Extra tool request: If you have a kitchen scale with a gram reading and/or an electric hand mixer with a whisk attachment, please bring to use during the class.
- Limited to 13 participants. REGISTER HERE.
This workshop series is made possible with funding provided by Hawai‘i Tourism through the Kūkulu Ola Program.